The Faculty of Law at Stockholm University commenced its activities in
the autumn term of 1907 as the Department of Political
and Legal Science at the University College of
Stockholm, with seven professors and 81 registered
By the decision of the Swedish Riksdag in 1959 Stockholm University
College was ordered to move to Frescati located outside
the Centro of the town. It would take over ten years,
however, before the six, blue high-rise blocks were
ready to be moved into at the beginning of the 1970s.
Today the Law Faculty is the largest faculty in the
country. The Department of Law has between 2500 and 4000 students every year, who
study law either following the undergraduate law
programme or in the form of independent law courses for
non-degree purposes. The Department employs over a
hundred full-time teachers for the purposes of teaching
The Faculty has 30 about professors specialising in traditional legal
scientific subjects, such as Jurisprudence, Private
Law, Fiscal Law, International Law, Public Law,
Procedural Law, Legal History and Criminal Law.
These scientists have further specialised knowledge
of various other fields of law, such as Labour Law, Company
Law, Export Law, Real Property Law, Insurance Law,
Intellectual Property Law, Marketing Law, the Law of
Damages and Transportation Law. In addition to that
there is one special chair in European Integration Law.
The Department employs the total of about 155
persons, of which approximately 45 persons represent
administrative and technical staff.